- Culture-Lifestyle (floor plan & functionality)
- Aesthetics (finishing & furnishing)
- Sustainability (materials, climate & cost)
Design Brief Preview:
The Cultural Community Center - A cultural center inspired by African origins.Guidelines:
Create a design concept for the Cultural Center that:
- Is unique and iconic, preserving the architectural heritage of the culture.
- Draws functional inspiration from 1 (one) specific Ethnic Group or Region in Africa
- Occupies a minimum built-up area of 600m2
- Occupies a culturally appropriate context that is reflective of the functionality of urban African spaces
- Utilizes a spatial program that elaborates on the building’s use as a museum & cultural center
- Reflects elements of African culture, lifestyle and philosophy in its functionality
- Celebrates the African identity in its interior design, aesthetics and visual imagery
- Is built with materials that are locally available, sustainable and affordable
- Is realistic, buildable and can be replicated easily by both skilled and unskilled laborer.
- Can be constructed successfully given issues of cost, materiality and regional economic factors.
Apart from uploading the submission poster (JPEG/PNG file format) on the CPDI Africa website, participants will also be required to provide a link to a separate folder on their online drive (google drive/dropbox) with the title format: Participant’s name_Prototype name_CPDI 2021. Each folder should contain the following information:A name for the prototype:
- How does your design translate traditional architecture elements in new and innovative ways, through cultural and aesthetic elements in your design concept?
- How does your design address issues of heat, cooling, ventilation and airflow within the building?
- What are the reasons a prospective developer would choose to buy your design?
- Which of the unique features of your design are worthy of becoming a building code requirement for construction in Africa?
- What built environment challenges have you resolved through your use of indigenous science and technology?
- Floor plans, elevations and sections:
- 3D Renders:
- Waiver acknowledgements:
- Design originality
- Design innovation
- Cultural appropriateness
- Contextual relevance
- Architectural preservation
- Community participation
Awards & Honors:
- Six Regional Winners (West Africa, East, Central, North, South, Diaspora)
- Five Honorable Mentions per region
- Promote your favorite African architecture to the world
- Winners earn paid internships with CPDI Africa & Associates
- Become an ambassador in your country for CPDI Africa initiatives
- Showcase your resume and design portfolio internationally
- Feature in CPDI Africa Heritage Compendium & Exhibitions